Tuesday 24 March 2009

The Russians are coming!

My newly enforced increased-leisure lifestyle has resulted in a number of changes around here. Thrift is no longer just a good idea; it is now the law. Therefore, my expenditure on anything has gone right down, but my productivity has increased commensurately. My latest oeuvre is a 15mm Russian force for the PBI rules from Peter Pig. I really like the Peter Pig figures because they paint up well and easily. I doubt that my efforts really do justice to Mr Goddard's figures, but here are some photos anyway. As usual, click on the pictures for larger versions.

The whole force

Company command

The PBI, backbone of the force


HMG team

Tanks ... you're welcome


76mm anti-tank guns with crew and tow


Extras - the army pack came with quite a few extra figures, partly because it is provided with whole packs of figures, rather than just those needed for the basic force, but also probably because I have not followed the layout as they thought I should. I shall never know because it does not tell you how to field the force, just what force they expect the pack to be able to field. These extras will permit some variation in force design anyway, which is good.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've done a good job painting and basing these miniatures. I have a 'battalion' of P.Pigs Ruskies in greatcoats that have been languishing unpainted for a coupole of years and you've given me the push to get them completed!

    Some interesting comments about Peter Pigs' ready armies - I do think they shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with how these are organised and sold. But hey, they are still in business and loved by many.

    Once again - good job on the Ruskies! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Cheers
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the packaging of the Peter Pig stuff. On the other hand, it does give you extra options for your armies too. Mixed blessing then.

    These Russians were incredibly quick to paint up just because of the technique I used. I started with a white undercoat and then did a thin wash of khaki over the top. This gives a level of highlighting over the whole figure. Block in the other colours and then dip. Hey presto, figures done in very little time compared to my normal painting technique.

    ReplyDelete