Sunday 10 September 2023

The Wilderness of Utavoll (wilderness terrain for 15mm fantasy games)

 I'm slowly collecting terrain for my Five Leagues from the Borderlands games, and have been on a bit of a spurt working on that instead of playing games. I shall get back to playing at some point soon, but I wanted nicer terrain to play on. Here we see a selection of terrain I have been working on or have bought for wilderness games.

The tent is from the same Viking Settlement set as in the previous blog post about the town of Haitabu.

The camp site and the stone circle are from CP Models. I based the standing stones on mdf bases to make a full circle.

The house is a Vietnam house from Peter Pig that I have had for donkey's years. I finally got around to painting it, am still not happy with it, but at least it is coloured in. I am thinking of getting a few more of these to use as Lizardman huts when I add The Oldest Ones faction to my game.

The mushrooms, rock pools and crystals are all from the Warlock Tiles: Accessory - Mushrooms and Pools set, and were bought at my local comics shop. They are nominally 28mm but work fine for 15mm as far as I am concerned. They will come in handy for both dungeon and wilderness dressing.

I've also put in a bit of effort making EPS hills for my wilderness games. I think I have enough small and medium hills now. Perhaps it is time to make some larger ones. The slopes on the sides of them are not going to be useful to stand figures on, but there are ways round that, and it is better to have any hills than none at all.

The stone circle still pulses with eldritch energies, even thousands of years after it was built. No one knows who built these stone circles or why. Some scholars theorise that the Oldest Ones' earliest ancestors built them because they always occur in areas where the Lizardmen live, but the Lizardmen are not telling, if indeed they know

Unfortunate travellers became lost in the wilderness and camped near the stone circle. Perhaps they were in trouble and hoped for aid from the Oldest Ones living in the hut, but the area seems deserted and there is no sign of where the travellers went. Even their possessions remain undisturbed.

The wilderness near the stone circle seems deformed by its power. Mushrooms have grown to the size of small trees and glowing crystals have sprouted from nearby hills. There is power here for the mage who can tap it and use it without dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment