Tuesday 23 January 2024

A 2023 Retrospective

 Unfortunately, 2023 ended on a bum note for the family, so it has taken a while to work up the enthusiasm to indulge in the obligatory retrospective. Because I am currently living in the wrong country, I seem to have managed a fair bit of gaming over the course of the year. Most of this was solo, and I realise that I have not logged plays of boardgames that I play on Steam, so Scythe and Wingspan are underrepresented in the list below:

GameQty
Five Leagues From The Borderlands: 3rd Edition20
Thunderbolt Apache Leader8
DreadBall (Second Edition)3
Red Sand Black Moon: Fantasy Gladiatorial Combat3
Chronology2
Rail Raiders Infinite2
Scythe2
Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King2
Calico1
Hail Hydra1
Laserburn: Sci-Fi Combat Rules1
Warfighter Shadow War: Expansion #40 – East European Adversaries!1
Warfighter Shadow War: The Modern Night Combat Card Game1
Western Front Ace: The Great War in the Air, 1916-19181
Wings of War: Famous Aces1
Wingspan1

It should be no surprise to my reader that Five Leagues from the Borderlands is my most played game. I've really enjoyed the campaign so far and need to get back into the gaming headspace to continue the campaign.

There are worse places to live, even if I do not know any gamers here

Thunderbolt / Apache Leader is a solid second place. Again no surprises there. It's a game that is easy to pick up and put away as needed.

Dreadball is my favourite sports game. I just wish more people played it so that I could find opponents more easily. All my games of Dreadball were against the poor, long-suffering Steve. He deserves a medal! I hope to continue the Dreadball league next time I am back in the UK.

Over Christmas, Steve and I managed a couple of games of Rail Raiders Infinite and Chronology. Honours were even with each of us winning twice. Rail Raiders Infinite has a lovely chibi aesthetic. I wonder how much longevity it has though. Each session seemed quite similar to the last. Great for a pick-up game when you need a gaming fix in a hurry.

I find it odd that Warfighter does not feature much in the list here. I could have sworn I had played a lot more warfighter than this, but I must have forgotten to log the games.

All in all, it was a good year for gaming, and I got a bunch of figures painted too. Unfortunately I bought more figures than I actually painted but you take the victories where you can.

We'll have to wait and see what 2024 brings now. It has begun promisingly with several games of Western Front Ace and Nothing Gained But Glory (blog posts to follow) and I spent a bit of time sorting my Red Army counters for ASL into their luxury RAACO barracks. I have several copies of Beyond Valor and wanted to have just one full set of counters in the counter trays. This done, I plan to sort the German army next with a view to being able to play some Solitaire Advanced Squad Leader set in Stalingrad here at work. I also plan to return to the Five Leagues campaign soon. The goal for the year needs to be to stick to games I already play, which is likely to mean more of the solo boardgames I already own, due to lack of opponents. This will help my finances and make me feel better about the games I have. Beyond that, I am making no promises, because I have no idea what might take my fancy as the year progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment